KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – After weeks of unrest, a Tennessee representative is addressing the call to remove statues in Tennessee and across America.
U.S. Congressman Tim Burchett (TN-02) posted on Twitter, saying quote “if you blame your problems on a statue of someone who has been dead over a century, then you only have yourself to blame.”
This comes just days after Gov. Bill Lee pledged to hold a meeting soon to remove the Nathan Bedford Forrest bust from our state’s capitol.
Protesters in Washington D.C. pulled the statue of confederate army general Albert Pike off its pedestal and set it on fire on Friday night.
There have also been numerous removals of confederate statues all around the country.
- Four East Tennessee strangers form an unexpected bond after one of them has a near-death experience
- Missouri inmate used ‘body cavity’ to bring tiny gun into jail, sheriff’s office says
- Can I finally see my grandchildren? Vaccinated Americans wait for advice
- Camera catches Subaru driver fleeing after crash with motorcycle in Portland
- Only 1 child died of flu this season – down from nearly 200