Tennessee teen has surgery after too many hot snacks

News
Teen_has_surgery_after_eating_too_many_h_0_20180724124449-846624087

A Tennessee mother is warning other parents after her daughter underwent surgery because she ate too many hot and spicy snacks.

Rene Craighead says her 17-year-old daughter recently began having severe stomach pain.

A doctor told the family the pain was caused by hot snacks. The teen estimates she ate around four bags of the snack food each week. She eventually had to have surgery to remove her gallbladder.

It’s more common than you might think. 

Dr. Cary Cavender, a gastroenterologist at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, tells WREG-TV that they see around 100 kids each month and that hot snacks can cause “gastritis and ulcer-related stuff.”

He tells the station that several factors require gallbladder removal, and think the spicy chips may have contributed to the teen’s surgery.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter