ATHENS, Tenn. (WATE) — A ninth resident at an East Tennessee nursing home has now died.
Life Care Center of Athens released that information Monday afternoon.
EARLIER: A McMinn County nursing home that has experienced an outbreak of COVID-19 announced Friday more residents have died.
Life Care Center of Athens said eight residents have died after testing positive for COVID-19. A total of 71 residents have tested positive for the virus, along with 46 staff members.
Three residents are currently hospitalized, facility officials said, and they are remaining in communication with the facility medical director and local hospitals to ensure their residents are transferred if more acute care is needed; families are also being checked in with frequently.
Twenty-seven residents and 80 staff associates have tested negative for coronavirus. Three tests are pending.
The state launched a mass testing effort for long-term care facilities and nursing homes last week requiring all of the licensed facilities test residents and staff for COVID-19 and report results to the state health department; which officials have said will provide support needed at facilities such as medical equipment and testing supplies.
The state also releases nursing home COVID-19 case counts on its Friday updates; but the daily results are not yet available.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party