Lightning blamed for fire that heavily damaged Hillwood home


Around 7:30 a.m. Sunday, Fire crews were called to a large fire at a home in the Hillwood area of Nashville.

Two adults and a dog were inside the home on Vine Ridge Drive when the fire broke out but they all got out safely. 

Flames were shooting from the home when crews arrived on the scene. Additional back up was called to help assist. 

Metro Fire District Chief Gary Hargis said the high heat and humidity created a dangerous mix for firefighters, adding that it took 25 of them to knock back the flames. 

Chief Hargis told News 2 that a lightning bolt went straight down the chimney, sparking the fire.

Several rooms and part of the attic were damaged.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter

WATE 6 Storm Weather School