MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (WKRN) —A Rutherford County attorney has been arrested and indicted on multiple rape charges, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
The TBI reported an investigation by special agents resulted in the arrest of 49-year-old David Whelan.
Agents began investigating allegations the Murfreesboro attorney attempted to get a client to provide sexual activity in lieu of payment, according to the TBI.
Investigators determined Whelan forced or coerced female clients into sex as a way to re-pay their attorney fees.
Whelan was indicted Monday on four counts of rape by fraud, four counts of rape by coercion and one count of promoting prostitution. He was arrested on Tuesday and booked into the Rutherford County Jail on a $75,000 bond.
- Missing 11-year-old found safe, according to KPD
- TBI identifies man killed during officer-involved shooting
- Biden, Pres. Trump campaigns continue into the final weekend of the presidential race
- Watch out for these popular, but untrue stories from social media this past week
- Salt Life co-founder arrested after teen found dead in hotel room