NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Two Knoxville lawmakers have introduced legislation to officially designate Tennessee “The Volunteer State.”
State Representative Jason Zachary and Senator Becky Massey are behind the push.
According to the lawmakers, while Tennessee has been referred to as “The Volunteer State” since as early as 1812, the name is not currently recognized by state law.
Both Zachary and Massey say the law would honor our past and inspire future generations to answer the call to serve.
- Sheriff: ‘Glee’ star Naya Rivera saved son before drowning
- Loudon County Sheriff’s Office investigating drowning of 14-year-old on Tellico Lake
- Sheriff: 3 charged in one of the ‘worst’ child abuse cases ever in Louisiana parish
- ‘Shame on you’: Protester interrupts Florida Gov. DeSantis during COVID-19 update
- Report: Father says he was in process of custody exchange when crash that killed 1-year-old occurred