NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — A traveling nurse from Tennessee, who volunteered to care for COVID-19 patients in New York City, has died.
Denny Gilliam’s passing was sudden, but the cause is unknown.
“He made a comment to me that he felt more alive than he ever had, but he was also scared,” said Greg Gilliam.
No stranger to service, Gilliam was familiar with self-sacrifice, spending time in the National Guard and the Air Force, before his next calling.
“After he got out of the military, he went to nursing school. He was a nurse since 1996,” Gilliam said.
Greg Gilliam, the older brother still wrestling with the loss of his sibling two weeks ago.
“We don’t know what caused his death, they told me natural causes but could be some other things.”
Native to Pelham, Tennessee, a faithful Volunteer football fan, a dad to two sons and two daughters. Denny Gilliam died in New York. He was a traveling nurse, and one of the best, his brother said, told so by the healthcare workers on the front lines of the battle with COVID-19.
“He always uplifted them when he came in, always had a smile on his face, but he could do his job,” says the elder Gilliam. “It just makes me feel good that he wasn’t up there, hiding to get home, he was doing his thing, really out there.”
Gilliam volunteered to care for the most vulnerable, to set an example for the ones he loved most, those now left behind.
“He loved his children more than anything else in the world, he tried to be the best father he could, that was part of the reason he went up there.”
It could be six months to determine the exact cause, following toxicology tests. Denny Gilliam was 53.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party