NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Eight loaded firearms were discovered at security airport checkpoints across the state last week according to the Transportation Security Administration.
At least one handgun was found from Sept. 13-20, at each of the four major airports in Tennessee. Firearms are prohibited in carry-on baggage. They may be transported in checked baggage, provided they are declared to the airline, locked in a proper carrying case and unloaded.
“Even with much lower than normal passenger numbers, we continue to find firearms at a very high rate at security checkpoints,” Steve Wood, TSA federal security director for Tennessee, said. “Passengers must remember they’re responsible for the contents of bags and our advice is they thoroughly inspect all personal belongings to make sure there are no illegal or prohibited items before coming to the airport.”
The firearms and locations are:
Nashville International Airport (BNA)
- Sept. 14: Sig Sauer .380 caliber
- Sept. 17: Sig Sauer .380 caliber
- Sept. 17: North American Arms Derringer .22 caliber
- Sept. 18: Ruger 9mm
Memphis International Airport (MEM)
- Sept. 18: Smith & Wesson 9mm
McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS)
- Sept. 20: Smith & Wesson .40 caliber
Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport (CHA)
- Sept. 18: Glock .380 caliber
Tri-Cities Airport (TRI)
- Sept. 17: Ruger 9mm
In each instance, TSA officers notified local enforcement partners, who removed the firearms and passengers from the checkpoint area. In addition to potential criminal charges, passengers who bring firearms to a checkpoint face civil penalties from TSA.
TSA officers have detected 106 firearms at Tennessee airports year to date in 2020. A total of 139 were detected across the state last year.
- Knoxville-Knox County CAC offers utility bill assistance
- Tracking the Tropics: Gulf Coast braces, again, for hurricane as Zeta takes aim
- Protests, looting in Philadelphia after police fatally shoot Black man Walter Wallace Jr.
- Check this out: Beautiful drone video captures fall color change in East Tennessee foliage
- National poll: Joe Biden leads President Trump by 5 points one week from Election Day