NEWPORT, Tenn. (WATE) – A Newport man charged with DUI, along with many other charges after falling asleep while traveling on Highway 73 and hitting a tree.
35-year-old Franklin Shropshire was driving his 2002 Toyota Tacoma south on Highway 73 on December 26 around 9:45 a.m., when he fell asleep and ran off the roadway, hitting a tree.
Shropshire was transported to Tennova Emergency Room and then air-lifted to UT Medical Center.
He is charged with:
- Possession of Schedule One Drugs
- Possession of Paraphernalia
- Driving on a suspended driver’s license
- Failure to maintain traffic
- Seatbelt violation
- Due Care Law
- Driving unregistered vehicle