GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – Tonight’s Gatlinburg Christmas parade is canceled.
“Unfortunately, the persistent rain and falling temperatures have created adverse weather conditions,” the city said in a press release. “We feel it is in the best interest of our parade participants and visitors to cancel the parade.”
It would have been the 45th Gatlinburg Fantasy of Lights Christmas Parade. Organizers say this is the first time in recent memory the parade has been cancelled.
The Van Zant brothers of the rock band, Lynyrd Skynrd, were set to be Grand Marshals.
“We hope to be back next year. We were really looking forward to it,” said Johnny and Donnie.
“We have done everything possible to create a fun and safe event for the visitors who chose to join us this weekend for the parade,” the city said. “We want to thank all the volunteers who have given their time to participate in the event despite the cold and rainy weather.”
The city says they hope that parade fans will return next year and help continue the tradition.
- Super Bowl odds: Chiefs and Packers lead the way
- Oak Ridge barbecue restaurant passes inspection, reinspection coming for critical violations
- Horned, shirtless Capitol rioter wants pardon from Trump
- IRS delays start of tax season to Feb. 12
- Third stimulus check: Here’s when you might get a $1,400 direct payment