KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – UPDATE: Knoxville Fire Department says a fire caused by deep fryer destroys home in East Knoxville Wednesday afternoon.
KFD reports a woman was cooking on the front porch of her house with a deep fryer, stepped inside the house for a moment, and soon after one of her children told her that the house was on fire.
The woman and her two children escaped unharmed, and the house has been destroyed.
The American Red Cross will assist the family with temporary housing until a more permanent solution can be found.
KFD says, “Safety tip; Never have an open flame under a structural overhang, always move a grill or deep fryer to a level open area away from anything flammable, making sure radiant heat is not a contributing factor to a secondary fire.”
EARLIER: Knoxville Fire Department is working a house fire in the 2500 block of Parkview Avenue.
The call came in at 4:51 p.m., and it is a two story home with heavy fire and smoke on the second floor, according to KFD.
This is a developing story and we will update you as we learn more.
- Rapid COVID-19 tests coming to Tennessee, along with a few questions
- Chrissy Teigen, John Legend announce death of newborn baby
- Health Board discusses County Commission resolution, votes to extend 11 p.m. curfew
- NASA administrator says space missions on track despite COVID-19
- Friday Frenzy Week 6 Player of the Week: Morristown-Hamblen East Cole Henson