KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE)- Knoxville Police are investigating the death of 42-year-old Mahlon Prater. The incident happened just before 10 p.m. November 1. KPD officers responded to the 900 block of Piney Grove Church Road for a shooting investigation.
When officers arrived EMS responders were attending to Prater who had trauma to his head.
Officers are reporting that the victim was shot. He was transported to the UT Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead from his injuries.
Officers say witnesses told them they heard three to five gunshots and saw a car leaving the scene. The vehicle is believed to be a silver 2012 Ford Fusion driven by a white male.
The investigation is still ongoing and WATE and Knoxville police are asking if anyone knows anything to call Police or Crime-Stoppers.
- WATCH LIVE: Crowds gather at National Civil Rights Museum for protest
- Nashville ‘I Will Breathe’: At least 5 arrested, no officers injured at Metro Police central precinct
- Nashville ‘I Will Breathe’: Organizers say violent protesters probably not from the original rally
- Protests heat up across US, governors call in National Guard
- Nashville ‘I Will Breathe’: Smoke canisters deployed on protesters on Broadway