UPDATE: The Knoxville Police Department identified Markedra Wilson, 32, as the victim of the shooting on crash that occurred on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Saturday.
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Knoxville Police investigating a deadly crash and shooting on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue from Saturday night.
First responders were dispatched to reports of a wreck into a building on the 2400 block of MLK Jr. Ave.
When they arrived, Knoxville Fire Department removed the victim, 32-year-old Markedra Houston, from the vehicle, and discovered that she had gunshot wounds to her legs.
Houston was transported to UT Medical Center, where she was pronounced deceased.
According to KPD, a witness advised them that the vehicle approached from the south on Chestnut before crashing into the building and that gunshots were heard from the area in which the vehicle was traveling before the crash.
KPD Violent Crimes Unit is investigating this incident.
- Democrats want to eliminate qualified immunity doctrine
- Humane Society of Tenn. Valley settling cats vs. dog debate with fundraiser
- Knoxville Police Department says it adheres to most policies of the ‘8 Can’t Wait’ project
- Last chance to get Girl Scout cookies Saturday at drive-thru booth
- FOLLOW: Coverage of the ‘March on Knox’ in downtown