(WATE) – If you have student loans, you could be getting more help soon.
Senator Lamar Alexander proposed if you don’t have any income right now, you should not have a monthly payment.
Back in March, Congress approved a bill deferring student loan payments until Oct. 1 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Senator Alexander says that those who don’t have any income should be able to continue deferring after that date.
He also says that when they do start generating income, their monthly payment should never be more than 10% of their income, after deducting necessary costs like housing and food.
It’s estimated that 43 million Americans have student loan debt.
- Newsfeed Now: Third COVID vaccine begins US rollout; 7-year-old opens lemonade stand to fund brain surgery
- Coronavirus in Knox County: Current hospitalizations, deaths, active cases for March
- New state report details misconduct charges against LaFollette Mayor
- Biological sisters separated by adoption find each other by chance working at restaurant
- Even more chaotic than usual, Globes still had their moments