PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WATE) — Firefighters spent Monday afternoon battling a structure fire at Pigeon Forge’s Red Roof Mall.
Crews arrived to the scene just after 2 p.m. No injuries were reported.
After the fire was contained, crews still searched the area for hot spots, according to Pigeon Forge Fire Chief Tony Watson.
Chief Watson says that one of the buildings is a complete loss, another has smoke damage, and another building is still being assessed.
WATE 6 On Your Side reporter Elizabeth Kuebel heard first hand accounts from people who work nearby.
“We were getting a delivery for the UPS guy, and he called and he said something is going on. So I ran upstairs and saw that the building was on fire, and it scared me,” said Amy Stinnett.
Stinnett was at work when nearby shop ‘Just Stop Toys and Gifts’ caught fire.
“There were firefighters from one end of the street to the other, and the back parking lot as well is loaded with fire trucks,” said John Gillis, who also works nearby.
The investigation into the fire and its cause is still ongoing.
Structure fire at Red Roof Mall ‘contained at this time’ according to Pigeon Forge Police Chief
EARLIER: Pigeon Forge Police Chief Richard Catlett reported Monday afternoon the department is assisting the fire department with a structure fire at the Red Roof Mall; saying that at this time it appears to be contained.
WATE does have a crew on the way to the scene to learn more.
This is a developing story.
- Lady Gaga’s French bulldogs recovered safely
- Oath Keeper charged in Capitol riot renounces group, but judge says she’s too dangerous for release
- Mask mandates extended for Claiborne & Hamblen counties
- Hamblen County Sheriff: Human skeletal remains found near Panther Creek State Park hiking trail
- American Rescue Plan hits the House floor as lawmakers split along party lines