KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — With hashtags such as #RIPTwitter and #GoodbyeTwitter trending amid reports of mass resignations at the social media company recently bought by Elon Musk, may have some people feeling nostalgic about the contents of their accounts.
Twitter employee resignations could affect the social media company’s ability to remain operable, the Washington Post reported Thursday. The resignations reportedly occurred after a Thursday deadline was set by Musk for employees to further commit to their employment at the company or leave. See a timeline of Musk’s involvement with Twitter.
Step-by-step directions for downloading your Twitter history
There’s a way to download tweets and data to iOS or Android devices via the Twitter application. If there is someone still at the social media company to procure the report(s) for users, those with Twitter handles can take the following steps:
- Open the Twitter application
- At the top-left of the home feed, select your profile badge
- Scroll down the menu to “Settings and Support”
- Select “Settings and Privacy”
- Select “Your Account”
- Select “Download an archive of your data”
- A separate page will open to sign into your Twitter account
- Sign in
- Verify your user name with the verification code sent to you
- Verify your password
- A note on the page states “You can request a ZIP file with an archive of your account information, account history, apps and devices, account activity, interests, and Ads data. You’ll get an in-app notification when the archive of your data is ready to download.”
- Select the blue-colored button titled, “Request archive”
- Another note will appear at the bottom of the screen stating, “We’ll let you know when your data is ready to download”
- Select “Done” at the top-left of the page.
There’s no guarantee of timing for the reports to be delivered, but a slim shot at saving the account’s history is better than none.
Twitter was founded in San Francisco, Calif. in 2006. Elon Musk began investing in the platform in January and completed takeover Oct. 28.