UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. (WJHL) – A crash on Unicoi Drive early Thursday morning led to a 19-year-old’s death after a vehicle overturned into Buffalo Creek.
The Tennessee Highway Patrol reports that William Cade, 19, of Unicoi was traveling east on Unicoi Drive around when the Toyota Camry he was driving ran off the right side of the road and hit the concrete bridge.
THP reports that the Camry landed on its top in the creek.
According to Sheriff Hensley, deputies arrived on the scene and attempted to reach the vehicle, but it was swept away when the rope the deputies were tied off with broke.
Sheriff Hensley told News Channel 11 that there was no one else in the vehicle, and deputies suffered only minor injuries before they were able to get out of the water.
- Dispatch: Rockslide in Campbell County impacting traffic on Highway 90
- Golfer drowns in pond while searching for his ball at Florida country club
- Here’s what’s coming to Netflix in March
- KFD: 1 person hospitalized due to smoke inhalation from fire, pulled from home by nearby nurse
- Knoxville family celebrates ‘Rare Disease Day’ and new FDA-approved treatment