HERRIMAN CITY, Utah (CNN) — A police dog killed in action in Utah is being buried in a custom coffin.
Hondo, a 7-year-old Belgian Malinois, served with Herriman City’s police department and helped with more than 100 felony arrests.
On Feb. 13, Hondo suffered a fatal gunshot wound as he helped apprehend a suspect in Salt Lake City.
The department asked a company called Rawtin Garage to paint his casket.
It features an image of Hondo and symbols of his service.
HPD Chief Troy Carr said Hondo died so his handler could live.
A public service for Hondo will take place on Feb. 29.
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports 1 new death, 57 new cases
- Kentucky AG asks for delay in release of Breonna Taylor grand jury recordings
- Newsfeed Now: Presidential debate recap; DNA test reunites brothers
- How to get a $10 credit to spend on any purchase during Amazon Prime Day
- Retail showdown: Target Deal Days to be held same time as Amazon’s Prime Day sales