HERRIMAN CITY, Utah (CNN) — A police dog killed in action in Utah is being buried in a custom coffin.
Hondo, a 7-year-old Belgian Malinois, served with Herriman City’s police department and helped with more than 100 felony arrests.
On Feb. 13, Hondo suffered a fatal gunshot wound as he helped apprehend a suspect in Salt Lake City.
The department asked a company called Rawtin Garage to paint his casket.
It features an image of Hondo and symbols of his service.
HPD Chief Troy Carr said Hondo died so his handler could live.
A public service for Hondo will take place on Feb. 29.
- Entire Buffalo Police Emergency Response Team resigns in support of suspended officers
- Amazon trailers go up in flames in massive fire at California commercial building
- Inmate cuts off part of his finger, mails it to newspaper to protest Indiana jail conditions
- Census 2020 ramps up with delivery of 5.1 million questionnaires to rural homes
- Alabama Sheriff calls cross burner coward; says his community is united and safe