SRI LANKA (CNN) — An elephant trampled and injured at least 17 people at a festival in Sri Lanka Saturday.
The incident occurred at a 119-year-old procession honoring the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha. According to CNN, one of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.
The parade continued after the incident.
- Tennesseans in Phase 1c eager to receive COVID-19 vaccine
- Ice Bears riding a seven-game win following a 4-0 shutout over the Mayhem
- Boulder Police: CU partygoers assault officers, damage property
- Meghan Markle describes anguish about hurtful discussions about son
- 4 people arrested following ‘Operation Heroin Highway’ in Jefferson County