SRI LANKA (CNN) — An elephant trampled and injured at least 17 people at a festival in Sri Lanka Saturday.
The incident occurred at a 119-year-old procession honoring the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha. According to CNN, one of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.
The parade continued after the incident.
- Hundreds participate in birthday parade for 1-year-old El Paso Walmart shooting survivor
- South Carolina fugitive may be hiding in NC mountains
- 100th birthday in Hawaii celebrated with drive by parade
- Person transported to hospital following water rescue in Surgoinsville
- Woods, Manning win “The Match: Champions for Charity”