SRI LANKA (CNN) — An elephant trampled and injured at least 17 people at a festival in Sri Lanka Saturday.
The incident occurred at a 119-year-old procession honoring the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha. According to CNN, one of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.
The parade continued after the incident.
- Proposal to change authority of Knox County Board of Health on agenda for Dec. 4 meeting
- Maryville’s first female city council member sworn in
- Knoxville business owner described by community as a ‘giver’ loses everything in house fire
- Lady Vols improve to 2-0 on the season with 67-50 victory over ETSU
- CDC to shorten recommended COVID-19 quarantine days