KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Over 11,000 Tennesseans filed new unemployment claims last week, according to the latest data from the Tennessee Department Labor and Workforce.
Tennessee reported the number of new claims for the week ending September 19 was 11,313, marking an increase of 542 claims from the previous week.
The number of continued unemployment claims in Tennessee was 152,195 for the week ending September 19, which is down by about 11,000 from the previous week. A total of 851,939 claims have been filed in Tennessee since March 15.
The week ending on August 22 was the second-lowest number of new weekly claims since mid-March. The week ending in August 8 had marked the lowest number of new claims since the week ending March 14, when the pandemic began and approximately 2,702 new claims were made.
Weekly unemployment claims peaked at 116,141 in the week ending in April 4.
- Protests, looting in Philadelphia after police fatally shoot Black man Walter Wallace Jr.
- Check this out: Beautiful drone video captures fall color change in East Tennessee foliage
- National poll: Joe Biden leads President Trump by 5 points one week from Election Day
- UPDATE: THP reports Meigs Co. school bus driver, 7-year-old girl killed in crash; 7 other children hospitalized
- Several East Tennessee art programs to benefit from grants