NASHVILLE,Tenn. (WATE) – Weekly unemployment claims in Tennessee dropped below 10,000 for the first time since onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Tennessee Department Labor and Workforce reported 9,802 Tennesseans filed new unemployment claims in the week ending in September 26. The number of new claims for the week ending September 19 was 11,313, marking a drop of 1,511 claims.
The drop in cases represents the lowest weekly total for new claims since the beginning of the pandemic. The week ending in March 14 saw 2,702 unemployment claims before ballooning to 39,096 the following week.
The number of continued unemployment claims in Tennessee dropped to its lowest number since mid-April. The state reported a total of 138,727 continued unemployment claims last week, a decrease of 13,468 claims. It’s the lowest number of continued claims since April 4 when the state reported 112,438 continued claims.
A total of 861,741 claims have been filed in Tennessee since March 15.
The week ending on August 22 was the second-lowest number of new weekly claims since mid-March. The week ending in August 8 had marked the lowest number of new claims since the week ending March 14, when the pandemic began.
Weekly unemployment claims peaked at 116,141 in the week ending in April 4.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party