GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials have confirmed an 18-year-old woman died Tuesday night on the Foothills Parkway.
Maiah Reilich-Godino of Eddington, Maine, was killed when she fell from a moving vehicle on the Foothills Parkway between Chilhowee Lake and Look Rock near Mile Marker 13.
Park rangers responded to the incident around 10:30 p.m.
According to a park release, Reilich-Godino was sitting in an open window of the vehicle when the roof rack she was pulling up on disconnected from the roof. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver and another passenger were not injured.
An investigation by park rangers is underway.
- New Hampshire man wins contest with 1-ton pumpkin
- Does the coronavirus spread easily among children?
- Debunked COVID story prompts differing responses on Fox News
- Trump’s Supreme Court front-runner hailed by right, feared by left
- Loaded guns found in carry-on bags at Tennessee airports