GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials have confirmed an 18-year-old woman died Tuesday night on the Foothills Parkway.
Maiah Reilich-Godino of Eddington, Maine, was killed when she fell from a moving vehicle on the Foothills Parkway between Chilhowee Lake and Look Rock near Mile Marker 13.
Park rangers responded to the incident around 10:30 p.m.
According to a park release, Reilich-Godino was sitting in an open window of the vehicle when the roof rack she was pulling up on disconnected from the roof. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver and another passenger were not injured.
An investigation by park rangers is underway.
- Questions arise after Anthony Thompson Jr. seen roaming campus prior to Austin-East shooting; school launches internal investigation
- More than 100 call for justice related to Austin-East shooting, march in community protest in downtown
- Wildfire reported in Cocke County
- TSSAA changes venue of Spring Fling
- Washington DC one step closer to becoming a state as House passes bill