ATHENS, Tenn. (WATE) — Law enforcement officials are investigating after a man was found dead in the wall of a condemned building.
Athens Police say that early Monday morning, officers responded to the Athens Lodge on Liberty Branch Road.
The lodge is currently shut down by a court order declaring it to be nuisance property, meaning no one is allowed to be in it.
A witness told officers they saw a car drive down the road to the lodge. The witness also told APD they saw someone running away from the building and that’s when they called 911.
Inside the lodge, officers found a man in a recess behind one of the walls.
After a brief investigation, it appeared that the man was trying to remove copper from the building and was electrocuted in the process.
- Maryville-based Denver Hunt Company seeking carpenter
- The future of the Senate: 35 seats up for grabs on election night
- President Trump’s campaign website hacked in cryptocurrency scam
- Coronavirus: Maryville College moves to reduced operations for the remainder of the week
- Knoxville-Knox County CAC offers utility bill assistance