GREENEVILLE, Tenn. (WJHL) — The Greene County Sheriff’s Department says a man escaped during a court proceeding on Monday but was captured within minutes.
Vernon Harley, 42 of Greeneville, was being arraigned on drug possession and violation of probation charges when he escaped custody and jumped out of a second-story window at the county courthouse, according to the sheriff’s department.
GCSD says a judge witnessed Harley jump down onto Courthouse Alley and followed him across Depot Street and into Reaves Alley where he was taken into custody by courthouse officers.
Harley’s escape lasted less than four minutes, according to the sheriff’s department. He is now facing an additional charge of escape.
- President Trump unveils healthcare plan, signs order protecting preexisting conditions
- Knox County Sheriff’s Office Officer Down Fund provides lifeline for many deputies
- 85 pounds of marijuana found in luggage at Nashville airport
- Pilot Flying J hiring for 120 positions in Knoxville, surrounding area
- What are some of the nationwide solutions to help students most in need during the pandemic?