NIOTA, Tenn. (WATE) — An early National Transportation Safety Board report on a deadly plane crash in McMinn County describes the details surrounding the incident but doesn’t name a cause.
Pilot Timothy Williamson was the only person on board the plane that took off on Sept. 10 from a private airport between Niota and Sweetwater.
Investigators behind the report say the airstrip owner saw no obvious problems when the experimental light-sport plane took off. About a half-mile after takeoff the plane dove and disappeared behind trees.
Federal Aviation Administration officials looked over the burned wreck and checked the controls but no cause was determined.
- Protesters gather to oppose Knox County mandates
- Woman killed in Greeneville apartment fire, according to police
- Early voting continues Monday, new voting center opens on UT’s campus
- Steelers dominate early, hold off Titans for 27-24 win
- Trump’s support hits six month high in key battleground states