Tennessee takes on Colgate on Friday in the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament in Columbus, Ohio. An unfamiliar opponent, here are six things Tennessee fans don’t know about Colgate.
The game between Tennessee, a No. 2 seed, and Colgate, a No. 15 seed and heavy underdog to the Vols, is at 2:45 p.m.
1) Colgate is in Hamiton, N.Y. and has 2,922 students. The team is called the Raiders and home court, Cotterell Court, seats 1,750.
2) Colgate won the Patriot League, beating Bucknell, 94-80.
3) The team has made two appearances in the NCAA tournament, the last time was more than 20 years ago, in 1996. Colgate’s first appearance was the year before. It lost both tournament games.
4) The Raiders are on a roll, having won 11 straight. The team is tied for the sixth-longest win streak in the nation. It ranks 15th nationally in 3-point field goal percentage (38.8), 26th in field goal percentage (48.0), and 16th in total assists (531).
5) Patriot League Player of the Year Rapolas Ivanauskas, a forward, averages 16.4 points and 7.9 rebounds.
6) Colgate coach Matt Langel has been at the school since 2011 and was Patriot League coach of the year in 2018.
Need more? Here are 200 facts about Colgate you don’t know. We love the one about the dinosaur egg.