KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — A former defensive lineman for the Tennessee Vols was in court Tuesday for a preliminary hearing for a domestic assault incident earlier this month.
Emmit Gooden was recently dismissed from the team in July.
According to an arrest report, Gooden and his girlfriend were arguing when she claims he hit her on the head with a glass jar, which caused a cut that required stitches.
He’s facing one charge of aggravated domestic assault.
Gooden’s now ex-girlfriend testified against him Tuesday. His defense attorney attempted to lower the charges to simple assault, which is a misdemeanor, rather than a felony.
His case is headed to a grand jury next, we will keep you updated as this story continues to develop.
- Football comes full circle: Mays brothers reunite on the Tennessee offensive line
- Keyen Green looks to bring energy and intensity to Lady Vols
- Vol fans stay positive despite loss to Alabama
- Alabama runs away from Tennessee 48-17
- Vols have work cut out for them against No. 2 Alabama