BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WATE) — Former Tennessee Vols football coach and Alabama athletic director Bill Battle is being hospitalized with COVID-19.
In a statement sent by Battle and put on Twitter by current Alabama AD Greg Byrne, Battle said he expects to make a full recovery.
Battle was coach of the Vols from 1970-76 and amassed a record of 59-22-2. He was 1-6 against his alma mater.
Battle took over the Vols program when Doug Dickey left to return to his alma mater, Florida.
Battle is credited with creating the sign in the shape of the state of Tennessee inscribed with the words “I will give my all for Tennessee today” in the Vols’ locker room.
- Six takeaways from Jeremy Pruitt’s first game week press conference against South Carolina
- Chicago White Sox call up former Vols’ ace Crochet
- SEC releases policies for canceled, rescheduled football games
- NCAA clears Vols offensive lineman Cade Mays to play this season
- Five Vols Named to Preseason Coaches All-SEC Teams