KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — By the end of the 2020 MLB draft on Thursday three Baseball Vols names were called.
Tennessee pitcher Garrett Crochet was the first. He was taken No. 11 overall by the Chicago White Sox, on Wednesday. Another round and another Vol is off the board.
On Thursday, outfielder Alerick Soularie was drafted No. 59 overall and the next to last pick in the second round by the Minnesota Twins. Fellow outfielder Zach Daniels was taken with the final pick in the fourth round, No. 131 overall by the Houston Astros.
Crochet, Soularie and Daniels are fourth-year juniors.
Tennessee had its streak of multiple players being drafted pushed to seven years. The SEC led all conferences with 26 total players selected in the 2020 draft, including nine in the first round on Wednesday, which also led all conferences.
Soularie to the Twins
Soularie hit 5 home runs in 60 at-bats and grabbed 17 RBIs before COVID-19 ended the season.
In 2019, Soularie batted .357 starting in 54 games. Finishing second on the team with 70 hits and led in runs with 52 total, helping the Vols to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2005. His dominant performance in 2019 earned him All-SEC First Team honors.
Soularie is the fifth Vol taken by the Twins.
Daniels to the Astros
Daniels began 2020 with a flourish. His batting average of .357 was best on the team as was his runs, doubles, RBIs and slugging percentage. He had shattered his previous season career highs with 20 runs, 20 hits, eight doubles, 18 RBIs and three stolen bases in 17 games.
Daniels was named the Round Rock Classic Most Valuable Player after helping lead Tennessee to wins over No. 1 Texas Tech and No. 25 Stanford.
Daniels is the ninth Vol to be picked by the Astros.
Daniels will be joined by Vanderbilt pitcher Tyler Brown. Brown was taken in the third round by Houston.
Other selections across the state include:
- SS Austin Martin, Vanderbilt, No. 5 overall to the Toronto Blue Jays
- OF Robert Hassell III, Independence (Franklin) High School, No. 8 overall to the San Diego Padres
- OF Evan Carter, Elizabethton High School, No. 50 overall to the Texas Rangers
- RHP Landon Knack, East Tennessee State, No. 60 overall to the Los Angeles Dodgers
- LHP Jake Eder, Vanderbilt, No. 104 overall to the Miami Marlins
- RHP Mason Hickman, Vanderbilt, No. 159 overall to the Cleveland Indians
- Trump argues high COVID-19 cases due to testing, experts largely disagree
- Newsfeed Now: “Glee” star goes missing; Remembering Charlie Daniels
- Split Supreme Court rulings keep Trump’s financial records private for now
- All Knox County Public Libraries to reopen on July 17
- VIRAL VIDEO: COVID-19 through the eyes of a four-year-old