Knoxville, TENN. (WATE) - Gathered on the field of Sherri Parker Lee Stadium, the Lady Vols watched as the NCAA Selection Show revealed them as the nation's 10th ranked team, and yet again, as a regional host.
"That was what we expected. We thought we might be a 9 seed, but 10 is great. To be a 10th seed in the country, we're proud of that," said co-head coach Ralph Weekly.
Tennessee was one of nine SEC teams to earn a top 16 seed and regional host site -- a new NCAA record.
All thirteen SEC teams reached the NCAA Tournament for the second year in a row.
Tennessee will host Monmouth Friday night at 5:30 PM. James Madison and Ohio will round out the regional. If the Lady Vols advance, and the Georgia Bulldogs do the same in their regional, Tennessee will travel to Athens for the Super Regionals May 25th-27th.
- KCSO: Man wanted for attempted robbery in Knoxville arrested
- BCSO: Man arrested after kidnapping, repeatedly beating woman
- Girl Talk's fashion show gala helps build confidence in young girls
- Missing elderly woman found safe
- Metro police investigate possible connection between 3 murders, other crimes
- You Ask, 6 Investigates: Are school fees legal?
- First African American woman elected to office in Blount County
- Trump says WH lawyer McGahn isn't 'a John Dean type 'RAT"
- US says conserving oil is no longer an economic imperative
- Women win primaries in record numbers, look to November
- Annan leaves legacy of fighting for equality and rights
- Defense DNA request denied in deaths of Colorado mom, kids
- Migrant spouse of pregnant woman detained on way to hospital
- Right-wing, left-wing protesters face off in Seattle