The Tennessee Titans took a 20-point loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 11 and look outclassed on every level from the play on the field to the coaching. That may seem like a harsh evaluation, but apparently it is one the head coach of the Titans shares.
Mike Vrabel spoke with media on Monday after another embarrassing road loss and as this team has dropped to 3-7, it is clear he understands how this group stacks up.
"I mean Jacksonville is better. They're a better football team. They're better coached and they're a better team right now," Vrabel admitted. "None of us would be able to do anything after that game yesterday and I know that we're going to come back to work tomorrow and have a plan, see who is available and get to work."
This may be an honest assessment from the Titans leading man, but it can't be something ownership likes to hear. Outright admitting the team you played is better coached than your own is an interesting way to try and retain your position.
Now, Vrabel may not be on the hot seat like some think he should be, but if he is, then this week will be critical to his future. The Titans take on the 1-9 Carolina Panthers. While the Titans may not be a good team, they certainly have more talent on the roster than the Panthers.
Also, the Panthers are led by head coach Frank Reich, who could be in danger of losing his job as well. Vrabel won six of his last seven matchups with Reich when he was the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts. The Titans are also at home where they have won all three of the games they have played there.
With all of those factors coming together, this has to be a win for the Titans or ownership may have no choice, but to cut ties. While the Titans are clearly not a good team, as Vrabel seemed to admit, there are still signs of improvement expected and the Titans seem to continue to be getting worse.
If Carolina is another example, we could see ownership make a big mid-season move for a second year in a row.
Titans-Jaguars Related Stories
- TITANS LOSE 34-14: The Tennessee Titans continue to look like one of the worst teams in the NFL each week with their most recent letdown coming in a 20-point loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 11. CLICK HERE
- WEEK 11 DRIVE CHART: The Tennessee Titans took on the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 11 and once again lost on the road. The offense struggled for another week as Will Levis struggled to find time to throw. Here is a recap of every offensive drive from Sunday. CLICK HERE
- WATCH LEVIS TO SIMMONS TD: The Tennessee Titans may be down big, but they are still having fun as Will Levis threw a touchdown pass to All-Pro defensive lineman Jeffery Simmons for their second score of the day. CLICK HERE
- WATCH SIMMONS BIG HIT: The Tennessee Titans are struggling to hang with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but they did get a huge play from Jeffery Simmons when he stopped the Jaguars short on a critical third down. CLICK HERE
- WATCH BAD SNAP FUMBLE: The Tennessee Titans are into the second quarter of their game against the Jacksonville Jaguars and they trail 7-0 after a first quarter fumble led to a Jacksonville score. CLICK HERE
- WATCH CHRIS MOORE RUN: The Tennessee Titans have kicked off their Week 11 matchup with the Jacksonville Jaguars and they got a big play on their second drive from Chris Moore who took a reverse for 38 yards. CLICK HERE
- WATCH LEVIS TO HOPKINS TD: The Tennessee Titans are into the final quarter of their Week 11 matchup with the Jacksonville Jaguars and they finally put some points on the board with a 43-yard touchdown from Will Levis to DeAndre Hopkins on a trick play. CLICK HERE