MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WFLA) – Tampa Bay Rays minor leaguer Blake Bivens’ wife and child were among three killed in Virginia Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan.
Passan reports police in Virginia have charged Bivens’ wife’s brother with first-degree homicide.
The Rays affiliate, the Montgomery Biscuits abruptly canceled Tuesday night’s game.
The team sent out a social media announcement that provided limited details other than that it had experienced “a tragic event within the Biscuits family.”
The team asked for privacy and said it will provide “an update when it’s appropriate.”
Their opponent, the Chatanooga Lookouts, sent out a tweet as well saying “Our thoughts are with the entire Tampa Bay Rays and Montgomery Biscuits organizations.”
The Rays have also released a statement saying “Our hearts are broken for Blake. We are grieving with him and will support him any way you can.”
- Knox County reports 23rd COVID-19 death in September, 76 new cases & 90 new inactive cases
- Texas woman says she was fired by Whataburger for wearing a Black Lives Matter mask
- Political independent Dwayne Johnson endorses Biden for president
- Here’s the story behind those electrified ‘e-shields’ authorities were carrying during Memphis protests
- 84-year-old man taking photos of boys outside Missouri grade school charged with child porn