KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Messy might best describe what the weather has in store for Tuesday.
A wintry mix should start falling on the Plateau during mid-afternoon and move into Knoxville as most people start heading home from work on Tuesday, according to the WATE 6 Storm Team.
While forecast models vary, we’re likely to as much as a little over an inch of snow on the grass in Knoxville with roads being too warm for snow to stick. Newport could see 1 to over 2 inches of snow.
The upper Plateau counties and counties north of Knoxville along the Kentucky border may see 1 to a bit over 2 inches of snow by Wednesday morning.
SCHOOL CLOSINGS: See our latest list of school delays and closings
The precipitation starts in the Smoky mountains as rain. Icy conditions actually may be a bigger threat in the Smokies than snow, according to the wATE 6 Storm team.
BE PREPARED: Get our weather app
Valley areas south of Knoxville get less snow than areas north of the city.
Snowfall amounts are expected to be greater in Middle and West Tennessee than in East Tennessee.
- Positively Tennessee: Snidow making a difference with staff, patients at East Tennessee Children’s Hospital
- The Business Buzz: Zoo Knoxville hosting seasonal job fair
- Bill would create sex assault solutions task force for Coast Guard
- New postmaster general could signal big changes to postal service
- One man injured in armed robbery attempt at East Magnolia pawn shop, police seek suspect